Dec 13 2011
What to Look Out For When You Go Looking For An Online TEFL Course
Online TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) courses are increasingly being offered through the online arena. According to the National Center on Education Statistics (NCES), the number of students studying through online means or technology-based distance learning grew by a whooping 65 percent in the years between 2002 and 2005. This NCES report was published in 2008 which means that the current online education levels are way past you imagination. A TEFL course allows one to be able to teach English in any part of the world where his or her services may be needed. The online classroom seems to be the classroom of the future according to the American Council of Education (ACE). This is because it allows for one to study wherever and whenever. It is not governed by constraints like time or geographical location.
Here are some of the factors that you have to be on the lookout for when you go looking for a credible online center for a TEFL course.
• It should be flexible and convenient- this will allow you to go through your TEFL course on your own terms. You get to learn when you want and however you want.
• Credible and professional online tutors- the online center should have a professional team capable of dissemination the highest quality of knowledge.
• Ask about tutor feedback to pressing study problems. An accredited institution should have online tutors who are fast to respond to student queries.
• The depth of training offered by the online TEFL course should be as per your content desire. It should allow you to train at your own pace and understanding capacity. It will also help you decide whether you want to deal with the basics only or go deeper into a particular topic where you feel weak.
• Does the TEFL course use real life examples and case studies? These facilitate faster knowledge dissemination especially when coupled with expansive research resources since they give the student something that he or she can relate to while avoiding the boredom of theoretical studies.
• Is their training interactive and fun? A TEFL course that has a well structured learning framework coupled with interactive activities is sure to deliver the best results according to the US Department of Education.